Author Topic: Improve Brain Function – Stop Fuzzy Thinking by Removing Toxins  (Read 16270 times)

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Removing Toxins
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 12:53:39 AM »
I have received more questions about filters and why I do not believe RO or distilled water is the way to go.

Reverse osmosis or distilled water has the minerals removed except with RO you are literally drinking the filter.  I have tested it and measured the amount of RO filter in a glass of water.

Removing the minerals may not be a bad thing if you squeeze fresh lemon into the water which brings with it replacement of the missing minerals in plant source quality.

I hope before long we will have time to discuss further the best filtration or most practical filtration systems.  If you use a cheap filter that may not take much more than chlorine, keep using it but be sure and change it out regularly so all the toxins will not empty out into one glass.  I have seen that happen and it is not a good sight.  It is easy to forget and let the filter get old, so mark on you calendar a reasonable time to switch it out.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:00:05 AM by JC Spencer »

kendersa

Improve Brain Function – Stop Fuzzy Thinking by Removing Toxins
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
As far as pets go........as soon as we moved here my dog got alopecia and surprisingly so does my spouse.  We had chalked the hair loss up to stress but from now all i am reading could be the water here?  Don't really know what I can do except be aware of it because like you an expensive filtration system almost seems out of reach.  Please let me know if you ever find anything great!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:41:12 AM by JC Spencer »

Ellen P

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
On water filtering devices:

When my water district switched to chloramine I bought a water filtering device for $355 that used 3 large cannisters of carbon and then, after that, the water went through a reverse osmosis (RO) membrane. A fellow I spoke with at the company told me that the carbon filters would last a family of 4 for a year and the RO would last 3-5 years. I mentioned that I live alone and he said then those filters should last a lot longer.

After 10 months of using it for drinking water I got a stomach ache. I thought I had a bug. After 2 weeks of the stomach ache it occurred to me that the filtering device was failing. It had come with a particle reader with a LED readout window. It had always read "000". But this time it read "011". I called the company and asked them what that meant and the guy said that it was now working at 89% capacity and would never be 100% effective again even if I changed all the filters (for $200, thank you very much!).

I immediately stopped using that device and my stomach ache went away within a day. I threw the thing out, to my utter disgust. I am a poor person. This expenditure was a very big deal for me.

I was having spring water delivered in 5-gal. jugs (plastic!) and so upped my monthly delivery of spring water to cover what I was drinking. $19.50 more per month on that for 15 gallons.

This past fall our state Dept. of Environmental conservation, who permitted our water district to use chloramine, threw a day long symposium on water quality for any water treatment people in the state to come to. I think most or all went. I went and made sure they all knew what was happening in my water district with chloramine. One of the keynote speakers was Dr. Richard Bull. All the other speakers seemed to look up to him so we snagged him for lunch. I ran my water filter saga by him and he thought my stomach ache was caused by microorganisms/bacteria which had inundated the filters because of chloramine being such a crappy disinfectant.

So who knows if it was bacteria and microorganisms or chloramine itself that caused my stomach ache. This is the reason I highly recommend NOT using any filtration devices when it comes to chloramine, or if you do, change the filters every 2-3 months (something that is way beyond my financial means).

I now use spring water, bottled in plastic, for cooking, face-washing, teeth brushing, making tea and ice cubes, my dog and cats' water bowls. By the way, we also have had skin and digestive reactions in pets reported to us, including one death: one formerly very healthy 6-year old dog died of inflammatory bowel disease. It came out of the blue, starting as a case of diarrhea a couple of months after the switch to chloramine. It got worse and worse until he was on death's door, suffering terribly. He was put to sleep 3 months after the diarrhea started. If we had only heard about this before the dog died. I would have told the owner to try giving the dog spring water in his bowl and see if that would help. I don't know of one case of symptoms coming after the switch where a suffering human or animal didn't get better from stopping exposure to the chloraminated water. We have 50 - 60 or so people, and a handful of dogs and cats who all got better after getting off the water. Not one didn't get better.

If chloramine dissipated out of water as fast as chorine does, then I would use the tap water for my pets but that's not possible anymore, so I buy spring water for them, too.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:09:51 PM by JC Spencer »

kendersa

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 05:23:32 PM »
I had just recently found that website about Chloramine and it scares me to death.  Within the past year, the city had a water boil in effect for about 3 weeks the first time and 2 weeks water boil in effect for fecal ecoli in the water. Yes, lovely I know! :-X Of course our dear city manager did not feel the need to let us in on this until the citizens had been drinking the nasty water for about 5 days already.  Of course they denied this all until it came out in the news that they were in the wrong but not before a great number of people got sick.

This is one of the major reasons I am so concerned with the water.  That and the fact that I am trying to find the best water for my brother and father to drink that have HD. They cant drink RO water that would normally clean their water so my quest continues.....  :-\

Thank you for all the info...I greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:50:57 PM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »
Appreciate so much the comments Ellen made about the dangers of chloramine and ammonoa in our drinking water.  Take her knowledge of water treatment to your local water district and neighbors.  It is the lack of this knowledge that can affect your whole neighborhood. 
Thanks Ellen.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:16:52 PM by JC Spencer »

Ellen P

Get the cholrine, chloramine, and ammonia out of the water
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 08:47:10 AM »
Chloramine is made from chlorine and ammonia, a terrible combination of chemicals. My mother warned me not to mix those two in a bucket to clean with because the fumes would kill me.

Chloramine went into our water in Vermont in 4/06 and life has been horrible as a result for many people in our water district. There are three species of chloramine that can be more or less present, depending on conditions like water temperature, pH, aerosolization of the water, and chlorine to ammonia ratio. They are monochloramine, dichloramine, and trichloramine. All are irritants and each one is more irritating than the one before it.

Symptoms being experienced here since the switch to chloramines (nearly 300 people now reporting problems): Skin: dry, red, burning, inflamed, itchy skin or rashes. Cracked and bleeding skin, welts and open sores.  Respiratory: sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and even full-blown asthma-like reactions.  Digestive: dry mouth, dry/swollen throat, acid reflux, irritable bowel-like symptoms.  Eyes: dry, burning, tearing, stinging, blurry vision.

Othings to consider about chloramine:

*The World Health Organization (WHO) says that chloramine is about 2,000 and 100,000 times less effective than chloramine at the inactivation of e.Coli and rotaviruses respectively. It takes 25x as much chloramine as chlorine to kill pathogens in the water as fast as chlorine does.

*There are no human or animal studies on the skin or respiratory effects of chloraminated water, or on the health effects of chloramine, in general. Doctors cannot diagnose chloramine-related symptoms. They are completely at a loss to help their patients -even if it did occur to them that a chemical in the tap water might be what is causing the problems their patients experience.

*Chloramine is much more corrosive to indoor plumbing (as well as to our bodies) than chlorine, and can leach lead into the water from PVC and copper pipes, “lead-free” brass fittings and lead solder. Chloraminated tap water corrodes rubber toilet flappers and gaskets very quickly. It also can cause pin-holing in copper pipes. Water districts commonly add phosphates to the water as a “corrosion inhibitor” to coat the pipes with, and keep lead from leaching into the water. Phosphates are food for microorganisms and bacteria, and can increase in numbers within the distribution pipes and the pipes in our homes. So, chloramine, the inferior disinfectant, now has an even bigger problem trying to keep the water free of bacteria and organisms.

*You cannot boil or distill chloramine out of water like you can chlorine. And if you put a bowl of chloraminated water on the counter, the chloramine will take weeks to dissipate out of the water. Chlorine dissipates in a couple of hours. No carbon filter completely removes chloramine, like a Brita or Pur filter, for instance. Only LOTS of carbon and reverse osmosis will get the job done- VERY expensive, extremely wasteful, and only good for cold water.

We know of people from all over the U.S, and Scotland who are suffering from the same symptoms that we are since chloramine went into their municipal water: Los Angeles, San Diego, NY, FL, TX, CO, LA, ME, NH, OH, MA, KS, GA, OK, VA, Washington DC, KY, MO, and Scotland. We are working with citizen groups who are concerned about chloramine in NY, PA, and CA. Visit our websites and get educated. Maybe you can stop them from switching to chloramine where you live. www.chloramine.org, http://vce.org/chloramine.html, www.chloramineinfocenter.net

And if chloramine comes into your water and you get symptoms, get active about it.  There are more and more who are -- you won’t be alone.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:13:16 PM by JC Spencer »

Ellen P

Major Brain Defects from Chlorine in Drinking Water
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
Before bandying around the phrase, "major birth defects", let's look at the numbers first. In an article by Jo Macfarlane, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1023340/Chlorine-tap-water-nearly-doubles-risk-birth-defects.html

I quote:

"The brain condition anencephalus, usually found in 0.01 per cent of births, rose to 0.17 per cent in high-THM areas.

Hole-in-the-heart defects also nearly doubled from 0.015 per cent to 0.024 per cent.

The number of cleft palates rose from 0.029 per cent to 0.045 per cent in high-THM areas."

These are such low numbers as to be considered negligible. I wonder why all the hooplah over such low numbers is about here. Water districts are replacing chlorina with a chemical made out of ammonia and chlorine all over the country. Chloramine is a nightmare I live with. Much worse than chlorine for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which being that you cannot get the ammonia side of chloramine out of tap water except by reverse osmosis, which is extremely wasteful and expensive Please see my post on this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:37:05 AM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Report on Chlorine and Fetus Harm
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »
Comments by J. C. Spencer
Evidence is mounting that humans are daily poisoning themselves, cutting their lives short, and defecting their young.  If there is intelligent life watching us, I am sure they are not thinking we are the great intellectuals we claim to be.

Here is a new report from ScienceDaily.  This is expanded information that I posted on June 2.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Drinking Tap Water Disinfected With Chlorine May Harm Fetus, Study Suggests

Drinking water disinfected by chlorine while pregnant may increase the risk of having children with heart problems, cleft palate or major brain defects, according to a study published in BioMed Central's open access journal Environmental Health.

This finding, based on an analysis of nearly 400,000 infants in Taiwan, is the first that links by-products of water chlorination to three specific birth defects.

Water chlorination is a widely used and efficient method to disinfect drinking water and reduce the occurrence of waterborne diseases. However, numerous studies have revealed the presence of many chlorination by-products in the water. Recent research suggests that prenatal exposure to these by-products may increase the risk of birth defects.

A research team led by Jouni Jaakkola from the Institute of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, University of Birmingham, UK, gathered data on almost 400,000 infants born in Taiwan. The researchers used statistical analyses to see if drinking tap water containing high, medium or low levels of chlorination by-products increased the risk of 11 common birth defects.

Although the researchers found no direct link between the prevalence of any birth defect and the level of exposure, their calculations revealed that exposure to high levels of by-products substantially increased the risk of three common defects: ventricular septal defects (holes in the heart), cleft palate, and anencephalus (where neural development fails, resulting in the absence of a major portion of the brain, skull, and scalp).

Exposure to total trihalomethanes above 20 ìg/L was associated with an increased risk of 50 to 100% compared with levels below 5 ìg/L. These results were corroborated by additional analyses, using pooled data from a number of similar studies.

"The biological mechanism for how these disinfection by-products may cause defects are still unknown," says Jaakkola. "However, our findings don't just add to the evidence that water chlorination may cause birth defects, but suggest that exposure to chlorination by-products may be responsible some specific and common defects. Whilst the benefits of water chlorination are quite evident, more research needs to be carried out to determine these side-effects."

ScienceDaily Jun. 5, 2008

Journal reference:
Bing-Fang Hwang, Jouni JK Jaakkola and How-Ran Guo. Water disinfection by-products and the risk of specific birth defects: A population-based cross-sectional study in Taiwan. Environmental Health, 2 June 2008
Adapted from materials provided by BioMed Central/Environmental Health, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Good water filters vs cheap filters
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »
Cities are required to kill harmful life in our drinking water.  Apparently the cheapest way to kill the harmful stuff is with chloramine, chlorine, ammonia and fluoride.  The governent nor anyone else is going to take charge of cleaning the poisons out of your drinking water other than you.  There are some rather economical filters like you mentioned that will remove some of the poisons but beware that those filters will not last long and if not replaced, may dump the accumulated toxins into one glass of water.  Most filters, I understand, do not do a good job of removing the fluoride.  There is one on the market I have heard about for around $100 that will remove the fluoride.  Until I know how long it will last and how good of a job it will do I cannot recommend it.  But, stay tuned.

Over the next few weeks it is my intent to have a consumer's report on water filters for the website.

kendersa

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
Would a Brita filter (I think it is a simple carbon filter) that you can put on your faucet help to make sure your water is safe?

Also is fluoride bad as well?  I have been reading conflicting stories on it.  I have read that fluoride apparently has the ability to cause DNA damage and even "cell death" in human cells.  If it is bad, does a Brita filter remove it as well?

I am sorry if I am going overboard with the questions but it is nice to have a knowledgeable person be able to give me correct answers to these harmful topics.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:09:52 PM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia in our water need to be filtered out before drinking.  These three poisons can be mostly removed even with a simple carbon filter.

Chloramine is said to be more effective than chlorine in getting rid of pathogens and lowering possible carcinogens in the water, i.e. trihalomethanes.  The EPA requires utilities to lower the levels of trihalomethanes but the EPA never mandated the use of chloramine.  The reason more public utilities are using chloramine is because it is the cheapest of the 15 EPA options.

In general, chloramine is less effective than chlorine.  And it has not been well studied for its harm to the human body.  It is a major skin and respiratory irritant.

With all the toxins we have coming at us from all direction, it is vital that we fileter out what we can and fortify our bodies by modulating our immune systems on a daily basis.  If you do not use a filter, your body becomes a filter.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:09:36 PM by JC Spencer »

kendersa

Improve brain function - stop fuzzy thinking
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:31 AM »
Okay so for whatever reason our city water does not use chlorine but a chlorine alternative called Chloramines.  From what I have read, Chloramines are a mixture of chlorine and ammonia and are used in some municipal drinking water supplies as a chlorine alternative. Thirty years of research on the effects of chlorine interaction with organic matter in drinking water has confirmed that the byproducts generated from chlorine have been associated to increased susceptibility to:

* Certain types of cancer
    * Birth defects
    * Developmental defects

So if chlorine is bad for you than I am pretty sure that this "wonderful" alternative that my great city is using is probably bad as well.  With me being prego, I am greatly concerned with what I am supposed to do for the well being of my little one.  How can I get good clean water with this being used in it as well? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:39:36 AM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Major Brain Defects from Chlorine in Drinking Water
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »
Comments by J. C. Spencer
Threat to major brain defects in unborn babies is compounded by chlorine in the drinking water says University study of nearly 400,000 baby records.  I cannot over stress the importance of drinking good clean water.  The responsibility of the expectant mother is doubled.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chlorine in Tap Water Doubles Birth Defects

Pregnant moms who live in areas where the drinking water has high levels of chlorine almost double their risk of having babies with birth defects, including heart problems, major brain defects or a cleft palate.

The threat to unborn babies is caused by chemical by-products called trihalomethanes, or THMs, which are formed when chlorine is added to water. THMs can be absorbed through the skin and then pass into the womb. Moms can expose their babies to the dangers of chlorine by drinking tap water, bathing, or simply standing close to boiling water.

Scientists at the University of Birmingham analyzed the birth records of almost 400,000 babies. They found that anencephalus (partial or complete absence of brain and spinal cord), hole-in-the-heart, and cleft palate increased between 50 and 100 percent in areas where the drinking water was heavily chlorinated to disinfect it. The risk of urinary tract defects and Down’s syndrome was also raised.

Earlier studies have linked chlorinated water to other problems, including stillbirth, miscarriage and bladder cancer.

Monday, June 2, 2008
By: Sylvia Booth Hubbard
© 2008 Newsmax

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
What is good drinking water?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »
Thanks for the question about what water filers are best.  Not only is that a good question that is a serious concern.  We are currently reviewing what is the optimal water for human consumption.  Scientists are learning that just because a molecule contains certain atoms (example H2O) does not mean all (identical) molecules are the same.  It is the bond, the type of bond, the angle of the bond, the ion charge on the bond and factors that we may not even yet know about.  I plan to report on optimal enhanced water and make more recommendations in the near future.  Stay tuned.

A few years ago I studied, researched, and made interesting experimentations with water and actually prepared a serious unpublished work in cooperation with some scientists.  You are correct about reverse osmosis.  I tested reverse osmosis water and learned that indeed minerals were removed but I also measured the amount of the reverse osmosis filter that you get in a glass of water.  It is my conviction that reverse osmosis water is harmful two ways: (a) lack of minerals, and (b) you are drinking the filter.

Cheap carbon filters are beneficial initially but may retain toxins and later dump them all in one glass of water.  I have actually seen that happen with a witness that could not believe it when this glob of yellow pollutants came out of the filter at the kitchen sink.  Some carbon block filters with different membrane are good.

We cannot all afford the best water, so let us apply the affordable technology today with the plan for improving on the water we drink tomorrow.

The factors that are included in the ultimate drinking water are: (1) clean water. Get the toxins out but leave or put back the proper minerals; (2) high pH water (alkaline).  There are various high pH generators and I will be reporting more on these; (3) highly oxigenated water can be meaningful; (4) magnetically conditioned water increasing the negative ions is a science all to itself that is difficult for some people to accept; and (5) tensa water or water that is effective against free radicals.

The very best tasting water, perhaps the best (also the most expensive at about $1.75 per glass bottle) is O2Cool Oxygen Water (formally HiOsilver Oxygen Water) available in some health food stores.  It is high in magnesium, no sodium, oxygenated, pH of 8.4, naturally alkaline prepared under US Patent # 5,747,079.  I have tested this water some time ago when I had a sore throat and this was the only water that actually felt good to my throat when all other waters hurt my throat.

Most bottled water is low pH (acidic).  One company makes an Optimal Enhanced Water bottle that filters the water on the spot which I am testing.  Houston tap water put into this bottle had an output test of a 7.7 pH which is not bad.  Further testing is required.  Before long this may prove to the one of the best means of making good quality water at a low cost.  Stay tuned for an update on this soon.

JC
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:16:25 PM by JC Spencer »

kendersa

Re: Improve brain function - stop fuzzy thinking
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »
Okay so now my question is what is the best type of water to actually drink?  Those who have HD should not drink reverse osmosis water and distilled takes away a lot of good properties...so how do you fulfill you daily intake of water (to make sure you are not dehydrated?)  I have heard Fiji water is really great but for those of us who are not extremely rich, how do we make sure we are getting clean water?