Author Topic: Trehalose Shown to be Less Acidic in pH Test  (Read 4172 times)

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Trehalose Shown to be Less Acidic in pH Test
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
by J. C. Spencer

It has been documented that trehalose is stable at low pH (high acid) conditions but what about trehalose pH in water or in the body?  Remember pH ranges from 1 to 14 with 7 as neither acid or alkaline.  1 is like hydrochloric acid and 14 like lye.  In Expand Your Mind - Improve Your Brain, I discuss at length the importance of pushing the human body to a 7.5 pH factor.   Here is the report from my personal non-critical evaluation of pH in four solutions:

1) The four ounce (4 oz) glass of water used in all four tests gave me a pH reading of 5.75;

2) When I added 1 teaspoon of regular table sugar to that water, the solution also gave me a reading of 5.75 pH;

3) When I used 1 teaspoon of trehelose in four ounces (4 oz) of water, the solution gave me a reading of 6.5 pH;

4) I then prepared a solution using one teaspoon of Trehalose pH Fusion, the pH factor was 9 - 10 pH.  These readings were made with plastic pH ion Balance Diagnostic pH Test Strips that practitioners use in Vitro (not litmus paper).  The test strips used for this evaluation measure to a pH factor of 9.  The darkness of the pH strip was considerably beyond the 9 pH factor, leading me to believe that it was probably over 10.  I plan to soon conduct a more accurate pH reading of the Trehalose pH Fusion solution.

We will soon post information on our website www.endowmentmed.org about Trehalose pH Fusion.

I have prepared for our readers The Trehalose Handbook which includes a whole chapter on Trehalose pH Fusion.  This handbook will soon become available as a download e-book edition.  Meanwhile, for those personally interested, I will send you a complimentary copy upon request.  The Trehalose Handbook is 114 pages in pdf format so it can be read online, downloaded for reading or printing.  The e-handbook is interactive in that a number of hotlinks will take you to additional information quickly.

Here is a study conducted at the Yantai University in China giving us some interesting information on the pH of the enzyme used in the generation of trehalose.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Abstract:

In this paper, we investigated the properties of trehalose-6- phosphate synthase (SfTps1) inSaccharomycopsis fibuligera sdu a high-trehalose-accumulating strain. The purified SfTps1 showed a band on Native-PAGE and SDS-PAGE of about 66 kDa. The optimal pH and temperature of the purified enzyme were 6.6 and 37 °C, respectively. The enzyme was activated by Ca2+, K+ and Mg2+, inhibited by Mn2+, Cu2+, Fe3+, Hg2+ and Co2+. Iodoacetic acid, EDTA and PMSF had inhibitory effect on the enzyme activity. Km values of the enzyme for glucose-6-phosphate and UDP-glucose were 38.6 mM and 9.3 mM, respectively. The effects of various stress conditions on SfTps1 activity and trehalose content in this strain were also studied. Neither the activation of SfTps1 nor the change in trehalose content was observed under stress exposure ofSaccharomycopsis fibuligera cells. Our results indicate that the SfTps1 protein and trehalose metabolism in response to stress conditions inSaccharomycopsis fibuligera clearly differ from that ofSaccharomyces cerevisiae and most of other eukaryotes.

Likun Liang1, 2 , Zhenming Chi1, Xiaoke Wang1 and Kailing Zhu1

(1) UNESCO Chinese Center of Marine Biotechnology, Ocean University of China, Yushan Road, No. 5, Qingdao

(2) Department of Biochemistry, Yantai University, Qingquan Road, No. 30, Yantai, China Received: 16 February 2006 Accepted: 13 June 2006

http://www.springerlink.com/content/71174585r2364246/

www.endowmentmed.org
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:38:27 PM by JC Spencer »